History of the Barber Pole
Starting from the Middle Ages, barbers often served as surgeons and dentists. In addition to haircutting, hairdressing, and shaving, barbers performed surgery, bloodletting and leeching, fire cupping, enemas, and the extraction of teeth; earning them the name "barber surgeons".
The Striped Barber Pole
Our Barbers Poles are manufactured in the UK.
- The Barber Pole is a symbol of the profession and is a legacy of bloodletting
- After the operation, the bandages would be hung on the staff and sometimes placed outside as an advertisement.
- Twirled by the wind, they would form a red & white spiral pattern that was later adopted for painted poles.
- The earliest poles were surmounted by a leech basin, which in time was transformed into a ball.
- The stripes of a barber pole still shoe the red for blood and the white for bandages. Sometimes there were poles with blue representing the veins.
Our poles have featured in Eastenders, the O2 marketing campaign and many other films and news stories, why buy an inferior product with a limited lifespan, come to a UK Supplier
who knows the industry and can supply you with UK manufactured Barber Poles,
which we can also support and maintain it for its lifetime.
All Barber Poles come with a full 12 month warranty and fixing instructions.